10.26.2008

red velvet & connie

The Owens family came over last night for the October family birthday party. Our house is now the perfect meeting place for family in both Indianapolis and Eastern Kentucky... and now we actually have room to host 10+ people. Brooke's oldest daughter, Scarlet, found the only toy-ish object in our house to play with, and she was attached in seconds to a small plastic cow she affectionately named "Connie."
She didn't let go of her all night. It was the cutest thing I have ever seen. When she had to leave, she nicely set him on the mantel, and said goodnight to her, and Elmer.
I decided to try my hand at mom's famous red velvet cake before work Saturday morning. I must say, it was quite challenging. I think it turned out pretty well for my first time. I tried to add fall details - - red and brown sprinkles with Happy Birthday written in orange... but the brown sprinkles ended up looking like hampster turds on the white icing, but oh well.
It was very red, and very tasty.
Brooke and Danny!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUMEE! wish I had a piece right now! Great Job, Looks very Moist!

Jenn said...

hamster turd cake. yum. save me some!


Seriously. Can you save me a piece? I would LOVE some right now...

amo said...

Yeah, too bad I didn't get your message earlier... Paul, Luke and I finished it up at lunch. Luke loves junk food more than life itself - the cake didn't stand a chance.

Jenn said...

HAMSTER TURDS ON YOU!!!

CH3NO2 said...

Hamster Turds?

Anonymous said...

Gaston?

amo said...

FUNNY! You are referring to Gaston, the everlasting gerbil... I almost forgot about him!

Heidi said...

so where in eastern kentucky is Paul's family from? My mom's ENTIRE family is from Elkhorn City in Pike County...

Heidi said...

which, by the way, mean that if he's from there we are neccesarily cousins.