8.13.2008

Quote o' the day:

This morning I worked from home to accommodate Time Warner Cable stopping in to install our basic cable. When the dude was done, he walked into the dining room and asked (in his thick Kentucky accent):

"Is your boyfriend a hunter?"

There are so many different things to discuss here, number one being the topic of conversation. Clearly Mr. Cable Guy was quite impressed with Elmer, mounted above our mantle. I went on to explain that no, my grandpa killed the sheep and, yes, isn't he impressive? The short cable dude is also a hunter, blah blah. What I think is the funniest part of the statement is that he assumed that I was merely dating the man of the house? Or that I couldn't clearly have killed such a magnificent beast myself and that my boyfriend would have to be loaning it to me to mount above the mantle? If he assumed we were living together, why wouldn't he assume we were married? He did end up asking if I was married or just engaged (another reason I need my wedding band back!) and blah blah I don't look old enough to be married (? is there an age for marriage? did I look younger than 18?? what?) blah blah, here is the list of channels I just hooked up, (the ten lovely channels included in the basic cable package that only costs $10 a month) and here are the channels we could get if we upgrade, etc. etc. I was polite and he quickly left.

He left the tv on, so I went to turn it off but quickly flipped through the channels and WE. HAVE. REGULAR. CABLE. Dozens and dozens of ridiculous channels that we specifically did NOT ask for. The little short hunter/cable guy must have been so impressed with Elmer that he wanted to give us free cable. ARGH. We do NOT want more channels than the 10 we ordered!!! This happened to the Obers once before, and they called and called to get the extra channels removed, but they just wouldn't do it.

So our cable saga continues....

Since I was just speaking of Elmer, I thought I would use the opportunity to post the famous photo of Grandpa with his fresh kill. (KARA, DO NOT SCROLL DOWN!) Mom just found it and scanned it for me. I love the look on Grandpa's face and the way his hat just barely sits on top his head.

9 comments:

Kim said...

Amy, the timing of this blog post couldn't be better. I've ordered the "basic" cable too and they are installing it tomorrow. Maybe I will get the Kentucky dude too! But I doubt he will find my household impressive. Heh.

Rachel said...

pic = AMAZING!!!! LOVE IT!

This reminds me of a story ... I'll go write it on my own blog. We'll call today "They thought we were just shacking up Wednesday". It's like a blog carnival, but not.

April said...

I have the same $10 cable just so I can have $45 internet access. Hmmm,there is something not right about that. I wish I could just pick one or two of the extra channels to have, then I would be oh so happy.

Jenn said...

A La Carte cable. Genius, April. We totally need it.

Amy - FUNNY that you are "too young" to be married. Kinda reminds me of the nurses who thought we were headed back "to school" when we left Evansville Monday. We are "too young" to be out in the real world.

Jenn said...

p.s. i love the pic. well, i don't like Elmer with blood on his face, but Grandpa looks awesome. what is UP with that hat???

Anonymous said...

I would say that they asked him to lift his hat up so they could see his face and he flipped it up a little. I don't like guns.

Kim said...

I work in the market research industry and have done a lot of work in the telecom industry. A LOT of people have wanted a la cart cable for awhile now but the cable companies are just greedy!

Kelly Firesheets said...

It happened to us too, Amy. In my naive honesty, I thought I could just call and get them to turn off the extra channels. It turns out there's not a customer service script for "you're giving me service I'm not paying for." It's like a special little eat-up-your-free-time blessing.

Leslie Ober said...

Hehe...Funny that you remember this happening to us too! We totally did not want to get addicted to anything on tv, and new that if we had SO many channels...it would be inevitable. We love just having basic cable. Hope it works out for you guys! Now that we've moved we're considering going back to bunny ears. We'll see what we end up with! :)