8.25.2008

Logo snafu:



Surely I am not the only one who has ever noticed the uncanny resemblance of these two logos. They don't really even resemble each other, actually, they are THE. SAME. LOGO. I find this really odd - especially since the two locations are only a few miles apart! The NKU logo was most likely designed first since the place has been around longer than the Freedom Center, but they may have revamped their branding recently, who knows. I had noticed (and loved!) the Freedom Center logo when the place first opened, and then started seeing the NKU logo around, on city buses and whatnot, and finally today I remembered to compare them side-by-side. I hate to think the designer hired to do the Freedom Center logo flat out copied, but geesh, this is too close.

I need to go see if there is any web info out there about this. Surely some design blogger has noticed!

ADDENDUM:
I found this article HERE about the University's new branding and logo launched in 2002.
It says the flame comes from the "lamp of learning" featured in the University seal.

Looks like DESIGNTEAM has been hired to do Freedom Center branding of new programming, but they don't mention if they did the branding - they just include the museum in a list of clients (and NKU is not listed..)

The Freedom Center opened in 2004 - 2 years after the NKU new logo arrived...

ADDENDUM #2:
Thanks to Jenn, HERE is yet another organization that shares the same l
Linkogo concept!!
Thanks to Kara, HERE is ANOTHER college using the faux flame in their logo! I think our conclusion is that its WAY overused!

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Wow I never noticed that before, innnnnteresting....

Jenn said...

this is really interesting. is the freedom center one supposed to be a U for Underground? Strange.

same color schemes and everything.

Jenn said...

Hey. Here is the other college that shares a similar symbol...

http://www.und.nodak.edu/

apparently they moved the flame from the U to the D!!!

Krissy said...

I learned at P&G that you must trademark logo symbols if you don't want them to be used by others. Neither logo has the TM or the R with a circle around it (meaning it's been registered) so anyone is free to use it.