12.30.2007

Super Scrabble DEEE-LUXE

Christmas vacation has been a blast. We spent several days with the Beyers, drove back to Cincy, went on a post-holiday shopping spree, then the Owens parents visited through today. One of the highlights of the break was playing lots of games - - including two new versions of Scrabble - the most fun (and potentially most irritating) being SUPER SCRABBLE which has 441 squares (more than the typical 225) and twice as many letter tiles. Its the DELUXE version because it is plastic and has little edges around each square so the little wooden tiles stay in place. The big kicker is the introduction of QUADRUPLE letter and word score blocks. You can score bagillions of points - its rather insane. Our cousin Rob kicked our butts with two BINGOS on his first two turns. (a Bingo is to use all the letters on your rack at once.) Its pretty impressive. The other Scrabble game is Scrabble Express which is the opposite of Super. There is a tiny game board, 12 dice, and you only play with two words on the board. Its quick and a tad bit stressful with only a minute allowed to play each word. 

Settlers of Catan also made an appearance with the Beyer and Owens families. Last night I had a near win when I stole "longest road" from Paul's mom, threw my cards down and declared myself a winner when Paul discreetly pointed out that I only had nine points. oops.  That was rehashed this morning at breakfast at First Watch during SPECIAL RECAP PHASE when Paul and Dan filled in Jenn and Justin - - who weren't even there last night. Geeze. 

2 comments:

Beth Skillman said...

It's good to hear you are enjoying the holiday season! We are also elbow deep in games, but more of the 9 year old friendly variety - UNO, Yahtzee and Racko. Yesterday, we saw the chipmunks movie. Oh, how I long to see a grown up movie. (I actually typed adult movie first and caught that). Yikes. Happy New Year and we hope to see you guys soon!

Rachel said...

awwww ... how disappointing to think that you had won only to be foiled! I think that I've come close to doing that more than once during the game. You are trying to hide your points so much that you sometimes trick yourself. =)