11.03.2007

A Pumpkin Dream Comes True...

Paul has been telling me for years, frankly, that he wanted to make a pumpkin pie FROM SCRATCH. I kept telling him that that's why they make pumpkin in a can - so you don't have to go through the pain and suffering of buying a "pumpkin pie" pumpkin, cutting it open, scraping, baking, food processing, measuring the dozens of spices, etc., etc. But he insisted. So last week he took on the challenge, and succeeded immensely. I actually took about 5 min to make one from a can so we could taste the difference.

The hardest part seemed to be cutting the little booger in half. PO is one of the strongest guys I know, and it took him 4 knives and about 15 min to saw through the thick skin.

The "real" pie was darker in color, and much more dense. The flavor was not quite as sweet, but was definitely a hit. Ang and Kevin preferred it over the canned variety, and Kevin took two additional slices - one for breakfast and one for lunch the next day!Me and Ang - enjoying the pie, wedding style.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Man, what alot of work for a pie! So glad Paul finally got to live the dream. Good thing Paul didn't lose any digits or limbs in the sawing process.

Anonymous said...

AWESOME, I think I will stick with a can, that way I will still have all my fingers and arms. Unless I get carried away with the can opener.

Kim said...

Wow. I am impressed with how much he managed to scoop out of the pumpkin (picture #3). I tried just scraping it out to carve pumpkins and it was a pain. Heh.