8.27.2007

reading suggestions?

The PO and I are headed to a cabin in the woods of North Carolina outside of Asheville in mid- September - to read, hike, and visit the Biltmore. I am already planning my reading list. I want at least one or two good novels - and maybe an industry related magazine or book, perhaps something spiritual. Have you read anything this summer that I NEED to read? I have read only three books this summer - The Deathly Hallows, This Present Darkness and The Other Boleyn Girl. There are several unread titles sitting on my shelf, but not sure they are so appealing for the trip. (No Future Without Forgivness - Desmond Tutu, The Cider House Rules - John Irving, Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini, and the Chronicles of Narnia - I have only read Lion Witch and Wardrobe so far...) I welcome ANY suggestions!!

7 comments:

Jenn said...

Honestly, I think this may be a good time to pound out Narnia. Its good, and not too complicated or intense so it would be good car reading. Plus you could read it aloud to PO.

Kite Runner is one of the bestest books ever but it is also a tear jerker. Well, more like a rip your heart out and stomp on it, then run it through a blender-er.

Erin said...

I agree with JW on the Kite Runner, but I'd still recommend it for the trip. I just finished Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides - one of my favorite modern authors - and LOVED it.

Justin said...

I really thought Angels and Demons was pretty good for fluff. Quiet Strength, the memoir of Tony Dungy wasn't overly exciting but a good, simplistic spiritual book that will make you love him even more. You

Anonymous said...

What about the Competition By Michael R. Shoulders?

amo said...

oh! All good suggestions! Mom - I need a copy of that one!! Can you bring your copy for me to borrow this weekend? (unless you're still reading...)

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I did not get your message in time and Dana is reading my copy right now.

Paige said...

hi there! i found you! but seriously... here's a book i started this last weekend and have thoroughly enjoyed... "The Too-Busy Book"

Get it... it'll be worth it.