Saturday night Jenn and I had the opportunity to attend the most wonderful event - the launch party for the book Now We Are One: Faces of International Adoption. It was produced by Maggie Gieseke - wife of my pal Karl who I know from my past job at Champlin/Haupt. They have adopted two children from Guatemala and have since become involved with various charities having to do with international adoption.
As Marguerite Gieseke, who writes the book's foreword, notes, "In recent years, international adoption by celebrities -- while admirable in itself -- has become tabloid fodder and created a circus atmosphere that misrepresents reality for thousands of ordinary families."
Now We Are One seeks to restore a peaceful atmosphere by showing the simple, remarkably ordinary ways these amazing children have become vital members of their families. Each page reveals the simplistic and beautiful ways they go from being little faces no one notices to becoming absolutely indispensable.
It was an absolutely wonderful party held at the Cincinnati Country Club where we were fed an amazing dinner (complete with delicious bread pudding for dessert) and each of us left with a copy of this extraordinary book. If you know anyone who has adopted internationally, is planning to, or would just enjoy a wonderful book - I urge you to visit the website to purchase a copy. It is only $18 and 100% of the proceeds from book sales benefit non-profit adoption related causes.
3 comments:
I will order one. Sounds heartwarming.
mom - you are the best ever. I started reading it last night and PO thought I was looney - I kept crying while just reading the intro!! I think it would be a cool gift for your friend who adopted from China...
i am perpetually torn regarding celebrity international adoptions. when angelina first adopted maddox, i was inspired and could envision my own international adoption someday. at the same time, i get what Gieseke is saying about creating the circus atmosphere. i hope this book reaches many people who are on the fence or uncertain about their own ability to help a child this way.
Post a Comment