7.27.2007

You know you're in a SHADY Kroger when...

1. You see this sign in the parking lot:















What are "BASCARTS" anyway? Who the heck uses that word? I want to know the origin. Is it short for "basket-carts," perhaps? I have heard them called "Buggies" before, but man, this is weird.

2. You catch two high school age employees MAKING OUT in the soup aisle.

Yes, I witnessed this. It was so awfully awkward I didn't know what to do. He was sitting on a flat cart loaded with peaches or something, and she was leaning over him, arms draped over his shoulders, smootching his face upside-down, Spiderman style... GROSS. I quickly looked away and pretended I didn't see it, but HELLO! I had to squeeze my cart between them and the Campbells soup! ew.

3. There are no boneless chicken breasts to be found in the meat cooler.

Weird! I searched and searched the meat cooler for a small package of boneless chicken breasts, but none were to be found! There were plenty of legs, thighs, half-chickens, gizzards, etc., but no breasts! I was clearly annoyed. I finally found a freezer with varieties of FROZEN Tyson varieties, but they were all breaded and pre-dipped in either hot or teriaki sauce. Finally, after looking by myself for about 10 min. (remember, the only employees I had seen were busy getting it on in the soup aisle - and I was NOT going to interrupt) I found a package a the bottom of the freezer of frozen, boneless, skinless breasts. Geeze.

Anyone have any weird shady Kroger stories? This one took place in Covington KY, on Madison Ave. - a couple miles south of the Wedding Mall. I must say the experience was much different than the other shady Krogers I have visited on McMillian, Taft, and Harrison Ave. Do share.

8 comments:

Kim said...

Ha. I worked at Kroger in high school - I was first a bagger, then a cashier. I have probably far too many shady stories to share (although at least our store was out in the suburbs). I have some funny ones too. I think one of the craziest stories was when this guy on drugs came into the store and started knocking things off the shelf through multiple aisles, then came down to the front and like, ripped his shirt off like he was a wrestler. It was very bizarre.

amo said...

That story is fantastic. I can't imagine seeing a dude rip his shirt off in a grocery. Awesome. PO was a long-tim grocery-worker in high school and college. You two could probably swap some great stories...

Jenn said...

this doesn't have much to do with the shadienss of stores, but at the Kroger's in Coreyville (shady) I once put my car in neutral and forgot to hit the parking brake when i got out of my car (this was the Cavalier, not JennBugg). Then I saw it rolling away. I had to unlock it while rolling, jump in, and hit the brakes. I was definitely seen by some bystanders. So I guess I was adding to the madness of the store.

HAVE YOU ACTUALLY BEEN TO THE KROGER ON MCMILLAN. I'M TOO CHICKEN TO GO THERE.

amo said...

clarification: I did NOT go to the McMillan Kroger by myself! I had big strong manly PO with me.

Beth Skillman said...

More than a few times I saw folks eating (a lot) directly from the salad bar in Corryville Kroger. More sad than shady I guess. For shady, I would try the Walmart on Highland and Ridge. I once saw two large women get in a knock down, drag out, hairpulling, roll around on the floor fight there. You see, a checkout person had opened a new aisle and each of the women believed that they were next. If that's not a reason to fight - I don't know what is! Sorry you had to witness teenager makeout session. Yuck. I would have left immediately. At least you were brave and pressed on.

Rachel said...

Okay, you aren't going to believe this. One time, when our friend Ben had his famous May party they ran out of cups and sent me (because I was sober) to the Hyde Park Kroger around 11:30 at night. As I was walking out of the store, a glaring object caught my eye as I passed those benches that are out in the "lobby" where you pick up your cart. I paused and looked right. There, sitting on the bench reading a magazine was a man who only had on tighty whiteys and tennis shoes.

Really, you can't make this stuff up. I could help but wonder why no one had shooed him off. Especially at the Hyde Park Kroger. It doesn't seem like the kind of place where they would stand for near nudity greeting their wealthy customers.

amo said...

OHMYGOSH! fantastic. I can't believe that happened at THE Hyde Park Kroger. Geesh.

Heidi said...

When I was a case manager for the severely mentally ill I took a client to kroger, oh I forget what it's called, just north of Lifespring? Anyways, as we were walking in suddenly like 4 or 5 police cars came screaming into the parking lot with lights glaring, and pulled right up to the front of the store, ran out and tackled this guy who was in the lobby with us and started yelling at him and were holding guns. I tried to pull my client out of the way and she swung at me and was like, "I WANNA WATCH" but then we left because the police were clearing it out. I have no idea what happened.