1. Momentum Camp at King's Domain - PO and I went to camp with the Jr. High and Sr. High kids from church. But this was camp with a twist: our kids acted as junior counselors/workcrew for a large group of 80 kids from urban areas in Cincinnati. This was the first time most these children had even been in the woods. It was an unforgettable week - to see our kids in leadership roles, taking charge of cabins, teaching, playing, listening, hugging, cleaning toilets, doing dishes, serving dinner - - most of which was way out of their personal comfort zones - - was amazing. We were truly immersing ourselves in a different culture - in fact - we had a day and a half of training before the kids even got there! The coolest part of it all: our kids only live minutes away from the children we connected with. They were calling and texting each other on their cell phones within hours after leaving camp. I think there will be life long relationships formed from this. Truly amazing.
3. Twin Moments. For some reason, the ever-popular TWIN MOMENTS Jenn and I experience have increased exponentially. There have been SO MANY in the past few weeks I am not sure I could even list them all. Here are a few of the good ones:- SUA student, Serena, was at camp. We had some great chats after she found out I wasn't Jenn.
- I hear an excited "MRS. WILKEY!" while shopping at Anthropologie. Yip, a former SUA student who is working there for the summer.
- Walking out of Staples in Hyde Park I hear some chatting behind me, something about "well, we thought Mrs. Wilkey liked us..." That was two more former SUA Latin students, thinking I was Jenn. The cool part was that I actually knew them from when I chaperoned Latin convention two years ago. They were adorable, the long hair really threw them off.
- At a corporate marketing event at the Madison, two ladies walked up to my booth, I give them my little spiel, the one asks if I have a sister named Jenn. She used to play football with Justin.
- Jenn working my space at the mall - total insanity. Multiple other vendors just never even thought twice and assumed she was me, even though I warned them ahead of time. The manager at Fabulous Bridal introduced her to a bride as Amy, Jenn didn't even correct her.
- Jenn was at Graeters in Hyde Park - a kid working asked if she "worked at Crossroads." Funny how kids think that volunteers work there. He was a jr. high student.
- This one is the best of all: one morning I delivered some invitations to a couple downtown outside of Saks Fifth Ave. (yes - weird - they were going there to shop so I met them there, outside the store by the valet - the valet dude even helped carry the stuff from my old Saturn to their shiny Mercedes... ha.) I had one piece missing so I needed to deliver it to their house later in the day. I had to be at work at Skillman, so Jenn volunteered to drive it out to Loveland two hours later. (Did I ever mention she is a SAINT?) So, she drives to their house, gets out of her YELLOW CAR in her GYM CLOTHES, rings the doorbell, hands it over, they thank her, she drives away. No mention that she was not me - they of course didn't suspect anything. This is too fun.
- There were TWO sets of twins from Crossroads that went to camp with us. Boys: Jacob and Jonathan; Girls: Brandi and Batena. They were AWESOME, and both sets are extremely identical. Brandi and Batena are hilarious, fantastic kids who made me laugh uncontrolably each night before bed with silly stories and jokes. You would think that since I am a twin I would be able to tell other sets apart, all that good stuff, but no - twins are just as freakish and cool to me too.
8 comments:
wow, thanks for the props. you are welcome! If you weren't so gosh done cool I wouldn't help so much. Seriously, it has been a FUN summer!
Momentum Camp had to be two of the best weeks of my life! When do we get to go back?
And twins aren't that freakish . . . I married one myself.
BTW, if you look real close, Jacob and Jonathan have different colored braces . . . now which is blue and which is green is still a mystery. As for the girls, Batena is the one that falls down every time she gets within four feet of me.
And a big "Standing O" for Jenn and Angela, and all the other folks that stay behind and make us look good while we're off hunting pirates and such.
AWESOME Twin Stories. THANKS, I love my twinses. (As Shanon Mc would say)
Man, that's a LOT of twin stories! Twins are awesome.
I would like to hear more about GO Local ... from the little I've heard, it seems like the best week EVER!
Fun stuff! I love twin stories, it's always been fascinating to me. And I was just looking at Rachel's latest...let her know that it won't be long before I'll be giving Sam a little friendly competition as most freaking awesome stylist ever!
Yea April!
I tried to find a time when I could come in and have you trim my mop but it didn't work out with my new schedule. I will be one of the FIRST to schedule an appointment with you after your graduate!!! FUN!
Super FUN twin stories! And even though I know both you and Jenn (obviously you better than Jenn), I think I'd still have a hard time distinguishing between the two of you. Like in that cute picture in this post...NO CLUE. I *think* you're the one on the right. Because of the long hair?? But really...either one could be you!
i love the twin stories!! keep 'em coming! :)
Post a Comment