3.21.2007

Missing Iraq?

I am fascinated by the war lately, but also don't want to hear a word about it. It makes my stomach turn to think about our soldiers over there, carrying out a mission that a majority of our country these days does not believe in. I don't know anyone personally who has been or is going over. I have no connections to any personal stories of being in Iraq. The news gives us facts, lots of them, but no actual physical reports from the men and women who are doing the fighting. I found this fascinating article today on msn. If you have 10-15 minutes - give it a read. It's a well written article by a soldier who is now home, who misses being in the war. I know, its hard to believe - but after you read it, you may find yourself strangely understanding. I love to learn things that challenge my current paradigm, this definitely does.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I agree. This is a wild read. Tough to read, but I think his feelings are real and honest. Man war is bad. This shows how powerful and evil it is...

Erin said...

i definitely found myself strangely understanding, inasmuch as a person who never shared this experience can. i certainly can't begin to judge any bit of what he's saying.

Newsweek this week was all about the war. I read it and wept, especially the final pages containing photos of actual letters written by soldiers in case they were killed. knowing that they wrote these letters while they were wondering if their families would ever have to read them made me feel as if my heart were being ripped out of me.

i think a lot about my ARMY boyz going to war and it makes me feel the same way. i am proud of them for their commitment to the service and the country and yet i cannot stand the idea that any of them would have to experience combat and the change that happens to a person from that. and of course the idea that they might die is just even more worrisome to me.

thanks for sharing this, amy. it's definitely something we all need to give more consideration to. these men and women are putting their lives, and the quality of their families' lives, on the line for us so that we don't have to live in a place like that. the least we can do is be aware of what they're going through as a result.