3.16.2007

YOU DIDN'T GET TO GO? CRY ME A RIVER.


Yes, I went to the Justin Timberlake concert last night.

No, I did not pay to see this show. My ticket was free.

It was pretty stinkin' fun.

It was a VERY danceable concert. Big time. Feet are sore. From dancing and trying to pry my Danksos from the floor that was ridiculously sticky from the beer that was poured all over my coat and scarf. Not a sensation I would have expected at this kind of show.

Rachel and I decided that it was a bad idea to sell (mass quantities of) beer to this wild group of giddy women and children. You wouldn't believe the outfits on women older than me. It was weird - you know they are just dressing up to be seen by other women - there were no dudes there - and like Justin is gonna see you 85 rows up in the crowd.

The screaming. Oh the screaming.

The dancing on stage by Justin and crew was UNBELIEVEABLE. Talent just oozes outta that kid's veins. He also did lots of falsetto which I love.

He mentioned in the first 30 seconds that he has family here in Cincinnati so all the performers on stage toasted us by drinking a Tequila shot. (What that had to do with Cincinnati, I don't know.) He also mentioned eating Graeters the day before. He then proceeded to do 347 more call-outs to "CIN-CINN-ATTTIII!" Like, "What do you say, CINCINNATI?" and "Let me hear you CINCINNATI!" Geeze, we get the point buddy.

I only knew about 4 songs, maybe 5. Mostly they were upbeat and dancable, which is a key factor to a good concert. I HATE slow songs at concerts - which he played about 4 of.

Cry Me a River, one of my previously worst fave songs of all time, was one of the best of the night. He turned it into a ROCK SONG. Big time. Lots of guitars. Sexy Back followed, and did not disappoint.

One of the best things about the show was the stage which was set up totally in the round. These impressive curved scrims would fall down from the ceiling and they would project images on them. Mostly live shots from the show, but also pre-recorded stuff. Very cool. The design was fantastic.

One thing I kept thinking of during the show was, "Gee, U2 shows are good." This guy had the cool stage, funky dancers and backup band, star power, etc., so it vaguely reminded me of being at a U2 show from all the hype - but the songs were just not life-changing. Going to a show like U2 is wonderfully exhausting - this was just fun. And Bono can perform for 2.5 hours straight without a break. Justin whimped out 45 min into it and had his producer "Tim-ba-land" do a REALLY weird, cheesy, multimedia mix. I did not get it. AT ALL. (At one point he had a giant pic of a gopher on the screen for gosh sakes!) I also had NO CLUE who this dude was - I had to look him up online when I got home. Not a fan.

Justin is a great performer and put on a really fun show. It would have been better had I knew more songs. All in all, a good time was had.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Amy. I am super jealous of you right now. I tried all week to win tickets on the radio, with no luck. Have I never told you about my love for Mr. Sexy Back? Someday I WILL be Mrs. Timberlake, just you wait and see...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun. I love the photo of you with short hair!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm sorry Timbaland disappointed in concert. He is actually a fan-tas-tic producer, who created most of the big hits on the radio right now - all of JT's songs he pretty much created and all of Nelly Furtado's new songs and has a bunch of earlier stuff. He also has a new song out that is totally my guilty pleasure, which is a song with both Nelly Furtado AND JT.

I agree though - going to a U2 concert is a total experience. They need to put out a new album so they will tour again! It's been 6 years since I've seen them!