1.18.2007

I *heart* my dental hygienist


Yes, its true. I love going to the dentist. Not to be all braggy, but I have good teeth. No cavities, no braces, good gums - they love me. I get to sit there for 45 minutes while the hygienist and dentist tell me how beautiful my teeth are and how good I do at brushing and flossing. I can't help but enjoy that. Plus, Dr. Wilson's office is on the 10th floor of the Carew Tower downtown, which allows for a nice walk across the city and time to browse around in one of my fave art deco buildings. But truly what makes the experience great is my hygienist, Mary. She is one cool chick. No matter what, she is having a good day - always pleasant, good at conversation while cleaning my teeth, and she is hilarious. Not only does she praise my teeth, but she also compliments me on my abilty to grow my hair, (when you only see someone every 6 months I am sure it looks like I am a chia head) she asks all sorts of great questions about my business, being a twin (she has twin boys) AND her taste in movies is excellent. So, all that to say, she is someone who loves her job, and does a fantastic job at making what could be a horrible experience quite pleasant. I love to see someone taking pride in their work and positively affecting lives of those around them in the process. She has made light of her job in conversation before, saying, "What do I know - - I just fight gum disease," but she does that well, and a lot more.

8 comments:

sarah cool said...

We go to the same dentist!!!!!!!!!!!

Except I see the chick dentist, I forget her name.


I work in Carew, so it is SO HANDY. I just hop up on my lunch break!

amo said...

That is so cool, sarah cool. The office I go to only has Dr. Wilson (dude) so maybe you are in one of the adjacent offices. . . I think there are a lot of dentists on 10. I LOVE Carew Tower. It would be awesome to work there - you can to to TJ Maxx every day.

Anonymous said...

AWESOME! I am glad you like going to the dentist! Your hygienist sounds AWESOME. (Blooming where she is planted.)

I went to see Gordon Green yesterday to get my eyes checked. HE is a COOL DUDE! He talked a lot about soon becoming a parent. She is due the end of February.

Keep up the good work with those pearly whites!

Rachel said...

Amy, I too love going to the dentist. However, I did have to switch hygenists when the one that I regularly had told me not to schedule with her on a Monday during Bengals season because she had season tickets and was always hung over. YIKES -- the switch was good.

amo said...

That is crazy. I would have swapped too. It gets on my nerves when people "plan" their hangovers. Especially if she knows she will not be able to perform her job properly. ick.

sarah cool said...

hahaha Amy... I bet you are right!! Okay, same floor!! :)

I also love going to the dentist. Also because I have healthy teeth. There is nothing like that freshly cleaned feeling! I have an appt next week, and I am excited!

Although I did have my first cavity, ever, last summer. :-/

Jenn said...

KEY PHRASE OF THE DAY:

PLANNED HANGOVER. now that is funny.

BLOOM WHERE YOU ARE PLANTED. Also very good but not worthy of Phrase O the Day status.

I hope I'm blooming where I'm planted. Not sure I'm succeeding this week. bah humbug.

Anonymous said...

Well, you have something in common with the kids then, because they love going to the dentist. They go to the same dentist I've gone to since I was 13. It's really the hygenist that they love, but of course they call her the dentist. She is also a great woman, her name is Sue Ellen. She was very close to my mother and was very supportive when we lost her. Chase is her favorite though because they share the same birthday which is Dec. 31. The kids actually get mad at me if I go to the dentist with out them. We have to schedule all our appointments together so they can spend the maximum amount of time there. I had always hated going to the dentist until I met Sue Ellen. She does make what would be a horrible experience quite pleasant. And like you said who doesn't like to hear about how great their teeth are :)