6.08.2008

It's hot, Don.

We knew that when we bought the Mitt it didn't have air conditioning, but I didn't think it would be a problem this early in the summer. Apparently a condenser (the big box unit for your ac that sits outside the house) has some sort of precious metal in it - copper? - and so when the bozos that broke into our place while it was vacant and in foreclosure stole the copper piping downstairs, they also hauled off our two condensers from the side of the house. (I just want you to imagine a couple of dudes standing in front of the house, unhooking and then CARRYING two large condensers off our property in the dark. Pathetic.) They probably got $10 worth of copper, yay rah, and now we are dying of heat exhaustion. Not really. It's not that bad, although Paul would probably argue that statement. Its very muggy - standing up out of your chair and walking to the other room makes you break a sweat. So, our project for tomorrow will be getting some guys lined up to give us quotes on a couple of condensers. Not exactly how I would like to spend a few grand, but oh well. I would rather buy these chairs for the surf board table....

9 comments:

Jenn said...

Yuk. You are welcome here ANY TIME you need some humidity-free living. Justin also made brownies with chocolate-espresso frosting on top. YUM!

Rachel said...

AP and I have some long vaccation time coming up -- if you wanna put off the AC a while longer, you could come live in our house.

April said...

I feel you on the no a/c! It's been miserable even though I at least have one in my bedroom that (kinda) works. But there is a happy ending to this story...thanks to some nice folks on the corkboard, I'll be picking up a window unit later this afternoon to help cool the rest of the apartment. Yay corkboard!

Heidi said...

Target has a 5200 BTU window unit on sale this week for $79- we live in an ancient apartment building with no central air, and we have a similar one and they cool the room you are in very nicely. I would recommend it for a quick fix, especially in the bedroom.

amo said...

You guys are all so smart. I never (not once!) considered getting a window unit. That is a brilliant idea. We may have to look into that.

Anonymous said...

It will probably be COLD in Wyoming...something to look forward to in 9 days.

Kim said...

Totally agree with the window unit. I've been sweating b/c my landlord has not put them in but supposedly he's putting them in tonight. I've been sleeping with a wet washcloth on my head. But seriously, window units will make a WORLD of difference.

CH3NO2 said...

5200 btu unit would not cool your car. Spend the cash on a central unit! I can tell you what
compressors to stay away from once you get your quotes:):)

Erin said...

Heidi is really pushing that window unit. I think Target is giving her a commission or something because she was all about me getting one, too.

Seriously, copper thieves make me so mad. Did I spell that right? not copper, thieves. or is it theives? i cannot tell...and I are a Editor. duh. Anyway, they make me mad because in addition to my general disapproval of theivery (thievery? what is WRONG with me today??!), they are also damaging houses, and I love houses.