2.08.2008

Hell may be freezing over. . . .

...there might be a black or a woman president, and Amy & Paul have bought a house. Yes, its true.
Introducing. . . 2603 Moorman Avenue
aka: "THE MITT."So, I know you are thinking - - "Amy & Paul - - you did not want to buy a house. You love living in Over the Rhine! You love being all 'urban' without a yard or lick of responsibility to your name!" Well, all those things are true, but about a month and a half ago we realized that if there ever was a time to buy, it was now. With interest rates lower than low and bazillions of fantastic houses in forclosure, we grudgingly decided it was time to look. We called up Steve Hromadka (awesome realtor and even awesomer friend) and like magic, we have a house three weeks later. Its a beaut, folks, we couldn't resist.

The stats:
  • East Walnut Hills corner of Taft and Moorman (2 blocks from the Y, 2 blocks from Jenn's work, 1/2 way between amo-ink and Crossroads, our places of employment.
  • 3 stories
  • 4 bedrooms
  • 2 baths
  • 1 short basement
  • 2nd floor laundry (YES, ITS TRUE. NO MORE CARRYING THAT HEAVY BASKET DOWN TWO FLIGHTS TO A SCARY BASEMENT - which was the case in our last 3 places.
  • cute tiny courtyard
  • 3 car garage (that needs some serious roof work)
  • fun park two doors down complete with springy horses, swings, and a slide
  • painted grey brick with purple trim
  • new replacement windows
  • new high efficiency heaters
  • hardwood floors
  • gorgeous 3 story ornamental stair
  • oh, and the house payment is most likely going to be lower than our rent.
It's about time we acted like grown-ups. The kicker: we close on March 10 - - PO's 30th birthday. It's surreal, and when I see that pic above I feel like throwing up - they are gonna let us buy this gigantic house?!This morning Paul's brother (who is a builder) and Paul's dad drove down to check it out. While we were there, this random, older, sophisticated dude in a red shiny BMW convertible drove up and asked if we were looking to buy the house. We nervously said yes. He asked if we knew about the neighborhood. We said 'well, sort of.' I thought he was gonna tell us about some drive-by shooting or how it was just overall a crappy place to buy a house or something, but he went on to tell us that he has been investing in the neighborhood for years, lives there, and has his business here. He "welcomed" us to the neighborhood and told us that he had been admiring the house for awhile now. He gave us his card and told us to call him when we move in and he would drive us around and show us the neighborhood and meet his family.

AWESOME.

17 comments:

Jenn said...

WOOOOOHOOOOOOO!

I love The MITT! We need to Celebrate!!!!!!!

This is much more exciting than wearing your lunch.
I can't wait!

This place is great! When can we move in? I'll go get my stuff!

amo said...

What are you talking about? Wearing your lunch? Am I stupid?

Where do these stairs go? They go UP. (and up and up and up....)

Anonymous said...

Joce says...
I love it and I am soo super excited for you guys!!
I love the MITT...very nice! I wish I had thought of that one....

amo said...

read Jenn's blog for instructions on "wearing your lunch."

Anonymous said...

The MITT is AWESOME! Congrats. Love the staircase makes me dizzy

Kim said...

Eeeeee! That is awesome! And in agreement with everone, the stairs look awesome. Your house is going to be so pretty in the holiday season! I envison greenery around the staircase.

Next dance party at your house!

AP said...

Awesome awesome awesome! Hell has officially frozen over...

Steve said...

Very nice looking place. I love old houses! Congrats on finding this gem. I love the woodwork . . . the first gallon of Pledge is on me.

That mantle looks like a great place for PO's bowling tropy.

. . . and we still don't believe it was a real dance party. ;D

Leslie Ober said...

Wow, Amy...how incredibly exciting!! Welcome to home ownership. :o) What a neat place for you two to live. I can't wait to see how you decide to decorate it...I bet it'll be amazing. Fun times. Congratulations!

CH3NO2 said...

All I can say is sweet!

Hey where do these spiral stair cases go?

Now we can all watch "This Old House" together. Yeh

April said...

Wow! Congratulations you guys, that's awesome! I've been thinking about joining the grown up world too...maybe someday. For now I still like to call the landlord when something is broken. Did you know that PO and I share the same birthday? Except I'm a year older than he is. True story.

Jenn said...

funny all all 3 of us Beyer kids have really old homes, older than our parents' home. and older than our parents, for that matter. although my house is just BARELY older than dad...

Rachel said...

beautiful, just beautiful ... AP says he can help you guys move for the 4th time if you need him. I'm glad to see a picture of the stairs, those are SUPER FUN!

ashley said...

Congratulations Amy, it's beautiful! I'm excited for you.

amo said...

Rachel - its only the THIRD time AP will help us move. Geeze. Don't make us look greedier than we are. he he. I can't even remember who helped us move into our 8th street apartment. Maybe is was Jenn, Justin and Burgy? Weird that I don't remember that.

Rachel said...

AP thinks that getting th black couch up to the third floor of your current place counts as two -- ha! I'll help sew curtains, but can't move much furniture these days.

professorquinn said...

Amy, congratulations to you and Paul!! Jenn told me you had purchased this house, and the pics look amazing. I've always thought owning a historic house would be inspiring--I hope you find it be so!